Sacramento Theft Lawyer
What is Theft?
Theft is a broad legal term that encompasses various degrees of crimes. Theft essentially refers to the taking of someone else's property with the intent to deprive the victim of the property permanently. There are two main categories of theft. Petty theft refers to the taking of small-value items, while grand theft refers to the theft of high-value items.
Is Theft a Felony or a Misdemeanor?
Under California’s Proposition 47, which reduces certain theft crimes to misdemeanors, petty theft, receiving stolen property, and forging or writing bad checks amounted to less than $950 requires misdemeanor sentencing. In order to fully understand the circumstances behind your offense, you should speak to a skilled criminal defense attorney from the Law Offices of Jonathan Gonzales.
No matter what the circumstances, turn to a firm with a reputation for winning. Our Sacramento theft lawyers will work hard to ensure your rights are defended aggressively.
Contact us today to get started with our theft attorneys in Sacramento, CA.
No Case Is Too Big
Or too small
Experienced Legal Representation in Sacramento County
Types of Theft Defenses
The Law Office of Jonathan Gonzales in Sacramento can help you find a defense solution that works in your case.
Common Theft Defenses:
- Claim of property ownership: In some cases, the person accused of theft was under the impression that property was theirs. If this is the case, the accused must provide some sort of evidence that validates this claim.
- Intoxication: Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impair one's judgment. While the person is intoxicated, the theft could take place. There needs to be proof, however, that the person was intoxicated at the time.
- Entrapment: It's possible that the accused was lured into committing the theft. The person could be set up by someone looking to prosecute the individual.
Begin Building Your Defense Today
At Gonzales Law Office, our Sacramento theft attorneys has handled thousands of criminal cases and had an undefeated jury trial record in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. As a former police officer and aggressive trial lawyer, Jonathan Gonzales can take your case to trial, where you'll have a strong chance of winning. Even in felony cases, he has succeeded.
Here Are a Couple of Examples:
- In one case, a client was charged with three felonies, including car theft. At the preliminary hearing, all felony counts were dismissed.
- In another case, a man charged with grand theft. Police illegally searched his shed. We argued a violation of the fourth amendment search and seizure rights and won. The case was dismissed.
Schedule a free consultation from Gonzales Law Office. Our Sacramento theft lawyers are ready to help you.
Reasons to Choose Gonzales Law officeAn Unwavering Drive to Fight for the Accused
Licensed to practice in all California and Federal courts
Featured in an article on Fox40 for our commitment to the law and impressive legacy
Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ and rated Top 40 Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers
Attended drug & alcohol recognition training for a Drug and Alcohol Recognition P.O.S.T Certificate
Former police officer with experience in the DUI Unit at the Public Defender’s Office
A dedicated trial lawyer with an undefeated record of results for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019