No Case Is too Big or too Small.
When charged with a crime, your future is at stake. Without immediate legal action, you could face severe and life-changing penalties. Whether you have been charged with a DUI or a white collar crime, your chances of obtaining the best possible outcome grow smaller the longer you wait to get an aggressive Sacramento criminal lawyer on your side.
What is a Criminal Defense Attorney?
A criminal defense attorney is a lawyer who represents and defends individuals charged with criminal activities. Their purpose in a criminal case is to ensure that justice is served for their clients, and to protect the rights of defendants.
A criminal defense lawyer works to fight for the best possible outcome for their client within the boundaries of the law.
This can include:
- Investigating their client’s case
- Gathering evidence and witnesses
- Filing motions in court
- Cross-examining witnesses
- Advocating for reduced charges or sentences
- Negotiating plea deals
- Representing their clients in court.
A criminal attorney also has an ethical duty to provide zealous representation on behalf of all clients regardless of guilt or innocence. By working hard to develop strategies that will help mitigate potential punishments or even acquit defendants altogether, defense attorneys play an important role in upholding justice and constitutional rights.
What Do Criminal Defense Lawyers Do?
When an individual is charged with a crime, a Sacramento criminal defense attorney steps in to defend their rights and works tirelessly to secure the most favorable outcome. From the onset of the case, the attorney guides the accused through the complex legal system, ensuring their client understands their rights and options. They utilize their deep understanding of California law and extensive courtroom experience to develop an effective defense strategy.
The services that a Sacramento criminal defense attorney provides include:
- Legal Advice: They provide informed legal advice to their clients, explaining the charges, potential consequences, and the best ways to proceed.
- Representation in Court: They represent their clients in court hearings, trials, and other legal proceedings.
- Evidence Review: They examine the prosecution's evidence critically, challenging its validity and legality.
- Investigation: They conduct private investigations to gather evidence in favor of the defendant.
- Plea Bargains: They negotiate plea deals with the prosecution, which might result in a reduction of charges or lighter sentences.
- Legal Document Preparation: They prepare essential legal documents for pre-trial motions, appeals, and other court proceedings.
- Sentencing Advocacy: If the client is convicted, they advocate for lenient sentencing, taking into consideration the client's personal circumstances and the context of the crime.
- Appeals and Post-Conviction Proceedings: After a conviction, they may work on appeals and other post-conviction relief options.
A skilled California criminal defense lawyer can prove indispensable to individuals facing criminal charges, providing them with a fighting chance against the complexities of the legal system.
How to Find a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Finding the right criminal defense attorney can significantly influence the outcome of your case. An experienced attorney not only has a comprehensive understanding of the legal system but also knows how to navigate its complexities to secure the best possible results for their clients. They can scrutinize the prosecution's case, uncover weaknesses, and use these to create a strong defense strategy. Furthermore, they can provide emotional support, helping clients to manage the stress and anxiety often associated with criminal charges.
To find the right criminal defense lawyer for your case, consider the following steps:
- Research: Start with online search engines, legal directories, and recommendations from people you trust. Look for attorneys who specialize in criminal law and have experience dealing with cases similar to yours.
- Credentials: Review the attorney's qualifications, experience, and track record. Check their education, years of practice, areas of specialization, success rate, and reputation in the industry.
- Consultation: Most law firms offer free initial consultations. This is an opportunity to discuss your case, understand your legal options, and assess the potential attorney-client relationship.
- Evaluate Communication: Pay attention to how the attorney communicates. They should be able to explain complex legal terms in a way that you understand and communicate regularly about the progress of your case.
- Fees: Discuss the attorney's fees upfront. Understand whether they charge a flat fee or by the hour, and what services are included.
- Compatibility: Ensure that you feel comfortable with the attorney. They should empathize with your situation, show genuine interest in your case, and be dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for you.
Gonzales Law Office:
Undefeated in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 for Jury Trials
At the Gonzales Law Office, our firm is known for winning. In fact, our founding Criminal Defense Attorney Jonathan Gonzales remained undefeated in jury trials throughout 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. As a result of his commitment to excellence, his dedication to his clients, and his aggressive approach to the courtroom, he has been listed in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars and in the “Top 40 under 40” list by National Trial Lawyers.
Types of Criminal Cases We Handle:
- Assault and Battery
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Crimes
- DUI Charges
- Violent Gun Charges
- Internet Crimes
- Juvenile Crimes
- Probation Violations
- Sex Crimes
- Theft Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- White Collar Crimes
While our team has a proven track record in jury trials, our defense lawyers in Sacramento also believe that not all cases need to go through litigation. We have helped several clients by providing effective resolutions, such as rehab and behavioral management programs to help get them back on their feet.